Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Best 11 of 2011

Choosing your own best pictures of an entire year is difficult, but it's a good exercise. Being pushed to select my ONE favorite out of those? Cruel and unusual punishment. It involved snipping little bits of paper and taping them over thumbnails of the images on my computer screen. Once I had it down to three it became an impossible task.

11. "Circle of Life"
lunch
I might have maybe promised one of my readers I wouldn't post any more pictures of dead animals, but this one wasn't dead. Yet. And this is art. Or so I've been told.


10. "Taking it All In"
taking it all in
I Heart Faces "Beautiful Eyes" 8th place


9. "The Decisive Moment"
Captain Hook


8. "Back to School"
back to school


7. "Into the Light"
to the light
featured on Mortal Muses - Life in B&W


6. "My Little Melons"
my melons
earned a link on Shutter Sisters for being silly (self portrait)


5. "Tiny Joy"
ladybug moment
featured on Clickin' Moms blog


4. "Time Never Rewinds"
IMG_0669
If I were ranking these by raw emotion alone, this of my boys would be my favorite by a mile.


3. "Hold Me"
bare feet
"I Heart Faces" winner. The judge: my most favorite photographer. *I must be dreaming*


2. "Past Bedtime"
past bedtime


1. "Fairytale Afternoon"
IMG_0130bw


Thanks for looking!

Last year: Favorite 10 of 2010.

linking up with "You Capture"



Edited to say: Confession time. I lied. This one is really my favorite.
bare feet

27 comments:

Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead said...

Wow. Those are some really incredible shots! The first one, although tragic, is a pretty incredible capture. I can see why you have so much trouble picking a favorite -- you're really talented (to say the least!) I'm going to have to stalk your blog more often for a bit of inspiration :)

Stillmary said...

You are one gifted photographer! In all honesty I don't like the first one at all but it is definitely a rare capture. All the others speak to me because they're so beautiful but each also tells it's own story - every . single . one!

Kelly said...

simply amazing!!! these are true art and have me thinking deeply with each and every picture! Can you share your next 11?? :)

Katelyn said...

Absolutely beautiful! All of them!!!

Ashley Sisk said...

I wanna be you when I grow up - you are amazing and I love these photos.

Unknown said...

I love these.

I don't think I've seen #11 before... it's really cool. Art, for sure.

#6 made me snort laugh again. ;D

Love your top 5.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Oh gosh! I see why you'd have trouble picking a favorite... or even 10 favorites. There are some of yours that stand out in my mind as a favorite of mine that I didn't see here either. Wow! You rock! You have such stories with each image that they impact me even more as I see these photos again.

nacherluver said...

Your photographs are breathtaking.

Amanda D said...

Beautiful shots! I love the one of the feet that was on I heart faces. Stunning!

gianna said...

Oh, to have your talent and to be able to see the beauty. And THEN to be able to capture it on "film"

I loved them! Even the poor dead bird (not that I would hang that one in my bedroom. It would probably cause nightmares!)

Susan said...

Love ALL of these. If I had to choose a favorite I would select “Tiny Joy”. :-)

Brooke said...

So in love with these. Great picks for your favorites.

Anonymous said...

These are great!

ToadMama said...

You chose well. Most of these I remember. I don't remember the melons, though. Awesome. :-)

I'm still working on my Top 11. I think I have it narrowed down to about 20.

Katie said...

Love your pictures! I love "Past Bedtime" and "My Little Melons" is something I can relate to!

Amber said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures. And the cat with the baby bird is just...wow.

http://www.amber-hinds.com

Kirsten said...

love these (of course!). you are amazingly talented, my friend. what a special gift you have. ;)

Carrie said...

I laughed out loud at the "this one isn't dead. Yet." part. As if watching the animal die would be any less traumatic than seeing it already dead. Great pictures, I hadn't seen some of them. My favorite is #7.

The author said...

Beautiful photos! I've got to get a semi professional camera.

flat yeast bread said...

Oh my goodness, "hold me" is amazing! and your 'little melons' are HILARIOUS!

Lisa said...

These are wonderful! I'm sure it was hard to pick because I know you have many more photos just as good. Congrats on another great year of capturing life's beauty in pictures!

Heidi said...

Jess,
Thanks so much for stopping at my blog. Your Photos are AMAZING. I'd love to do one of my "Sunday Introductions" features on you if you're interested.

-heidi
http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com

Victoria Strauser said...

I bet it would be nearly impossible to choose from all of your wonderful phhotos this year!

I'm Cassie... said...

Ummmm, what?!?! It says "0 comments." I can't be the first to comment....especially after 3 or so days. Where are all the "amazing" and "awesome" and "inspiring" comments? Are you blocking comments? Or is my computer/internet just stupid? Or did some sort of rapture happen, taking away all the good people who keep up with their blogs and blog reading?


I'm confused.

Nonetheless, these are all so moving (I found an adjective that doesn't start with a vowel!) The first one makes me squirm a bit, but squirming is moving, I guess. What a great exercise to not only review your year's worth of photography, but your year's worth of life. The "back to school" is still my fave.

I'm Cassie... said...

Okay...now I get it. You are approving comments now.

I better start keeping my crazy to myself.....

Unknown said...

Lovely photos - my favourites are number 3 & 5!

Jess said...

Thank you everyone!