Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

An Afternoon

We have the teeny tiniest bit of snow. It's almost comical. Last year at this time I'm pretty sure we had five thousand inches stacked up and blowing all over the place. I could probably dump a bag of flour on the ground and make a picture similar to this one. Except the dog and chickens are rude, and flour is edible. So, actually, no. I couldn't do this with flour.

A

I might have to try, though. Since I brought it up and everything.

Yet another January day that did not feel like a January day. I could so get used to this. Yet another weekday afternoon with merely an hour remaining until the school bus returns and I have to face the music. Four o'clock frightens me.

The singing competition between our two roosters became more interesting than drawing in the snow with naked corn cobs. We wandered that direction. Dust and I'd-rather-not-know-what-that-is sparkled in mid-air, caught by beams of light streaming through the barn. He was fascinated.

in the barn

Sometimes I daydream about a vacation where I just sit in front of the barn, in the warm sunshine, with some of these fuzzy critters. The easy life. That's what this is. Especially when January is wearing March temperatures. Especially when you have a South-facing barn with white paint that creates a practically tropical micro-climate right there.

Blackbeard

Did I mention planning my garden? I have big ideas for last year's sunflower stalks.

sunflower stalks

Did I mention how much we looooooove Arnold? We do. So much. Arnold, on the other hand, does not appreciate how much we admire his adorable little self. At all.

Run Arnold! RUN!!!

Run Arnold RUN
It looks like he's just standing there, but that is one of his legs up behind him. Running for his life.

13 comments:

Susan said...

Love that last shot! Sitting in front of the barn for a mini-vacation sounds like just the perfect thing to do!

Unknown said...

I totally said that Forrest Gump style in my head. :D Awesome. And I want an Arnold. ;)

Yay for south facing barns!

Next year we're going to have 10 ft snow drifts to punish us for this year. I just know it.

Jess said...

"Next year we're going to have 10 ft snow drifts to punish us for this year. I just know it."

Now don't you even GO there!!! (although I admit I am very very afraid. this has been the. best. winter. ever.)

Simon said...

i always enjoy a visit to your blog. That portrait of your son is marvelous but all your images speak, and your sense of lightness and humor in voice makes me smile.
I too am enjoying limited snow-and am trying not to jinx this whole screwy season thing. I'm digging it!

Lisa said...

Indeed; run Arnold, run! Such a fun photo collection. :-)

Brooke said...

That last bit made me laugh. The image is amazing, but the words underneath...LOVE.

gianna said...

That's so hilARIOUS! I want to see the rooster!
Run, Arnold, Run!

Alita said...

I need a vaca, too.

Colleen said...

I'm daydreaming about summer and gardens too. Although, my garden will probably look something like a large pot of herbs on the back deck. Not too exciting, but I have to acknowledge my skills or lack there-of and work with what I got.

I'm Cassie... said...

Do I have to be the one to ask? Aren't I always the one who asks?

What are you going to do with the sunflower stalks?

Our are bent over and still in the garden - the one thing we didn't get pulled up last fall.

Jess said...

Pole bean tee-pee!

Victoria Strauser said...

I can't believe that's your winter this year. Hardly makes escaping seem worth it! haha

Brooke said...

P.s. I LOVE your new header.