My kids (all of them) kicked the dirt, threw dirt in the air, rolled around in the dirt, inspected the dirt, and wiggled around in the dirt on their tummies. The little Bean got tired, put her head down and plowed through it like a bulldozer hard at work.
They were dusty, dirty, happy, smiling kids. It was such a fun novelty, because as you know, we don't have dirt at home.
I was photographing them, but then...
Then I saw this, on some milkweed which I was innocently checking for Monarch caterpillars.

I swear the only reason I took a photo was because, for the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of those red beetles.
Then I saw more pairs of them. I did not find it comical, and I did not get as close as the minimum focus distance of my almighty telephoto lens would allow, and I did not then zoom in on them because I don't yet have a macro lens (although there is one that I dream of).
A single pretty red beetle caught my eye, as she was sitting on the milkweed. All alone. I did not watch as a boy beetle scrambled up the milkweed plant toward her as she waited, and I certainly did not take yet another photo after he climbed on top of her.
Oh admit it! You would have watched too!
It was bizarre, red beetles were getting busy all over the milkweed.

If you look closely at the picture in the upper left corner of that collage, you can even see their parts!
(and I know you looked)
But that isn't the kind of thing I put on my blog. I always keep it clean. I never write about animals mating, and absolutely never ever talk about chicken sex. Nope, you'll never catch me doing that!
Ummm... nevermind.
Is this better?

After I wrote this up, I got out my Simon and Schuster's Guide to Insects. It's not the best insect identification book in the world, but it will usually do the trick. My heart did not start beating faster as I got to the section on beetles, because I am not a complete nerd. And there it was, in all it's wondrous beauty, the Milkweed Longhorn (Tetraopes basalis). I am also now certain that I have lost my mind, because how in the world could I not remember that!?
Linking up with Macro Monday at Lisa's Chaos, and MckMama's Not Me Monday.
16 comments:
Too funny! What a.... er, moment you captured. ;)
Oh, jeez. I was laughing reading this for two reasons. First, your stories are funny. I love the way you write. Second, um, oh I can't say it. Just CLICK HERE to see what I mean.
I like the collage you've created. (I just got back from camping this past weekend)
I think I'm finding these pictures far more interesting than I should, but maybe that's because my husband hasn't been home for over six months. =0
Wow what an interesting piece of nature you happened upon. Great shots.
I like your collage. And it's rare to find a mating bugs. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing!
A fly
I'm happy to find I'm not the only blog to post photos of mating bugs....lol. :)
Nice photos!
I like the composition of the first and last images. The way you've done the color rendition is lovely.
Oh, my word! You took picture after picture after picture of little red beetles mating? You are ONE OF A KIND, my friend!
I SO would have watched.
What a wonderful collage of your very cool find...loving all of these!
Love your bug pics! Way cool!
EEEEKKK!! More macro pictures! I'm in heaven. I'm totally loving macro shots right now, and see you are dreaming of a new lens too - LOL! We will dream together. :-)
Great shots! They're lovely. And I'd love to have you play along for touch-up Tuesday! :-) Have a great one!
Hilarious.
I would have watched, too. ;) It's their fault, doing it all out in the open like that.
You are dirty. :) And you made me dirty to look at that. Thats pretty funny.
the snickering you hear is clear from Washington State...you ARE hilarious...and a touch mad! Kim
Post a Comment