Fortunately for my hens, it wasn't to be on that particular day.
Outside the barn door was an innocent sunbather. He appeared to be minding his own business. I was convinced.

Inside the barn I found this lovely lady announcing that she had laid an egg. Apparently, this is an extremely important part of the egg laying process.

It was a cold day, see the fog from her breath?
Hens can be noisy. Obnoxiously so.
She must tell the entire world that she's produced an egg. It's hard work, I guess. She's proud, and she should be too.
Or else maybe she just wants the other girls to know the nest is open?

I have no idea.
What I do know, for sure, is that I get all kinds of dirty looks...

if I stick a big camera in her face during the middle of her opera.
16 comments:
Those are the most beautiful pictures of a chicken I've ever seen!
Your ladies are quite lovely. A chicken-punching cat is definitely something worth capturing on camera! I hope you get some shots of that soon. ;)
Thanks Danelle! The light was so harsh I almost didn't attempt it.
We had two laying hens and our neighbor's cat climbed the 6 foot kennel walls and killed both of them. ..... Now more fresh eggs for us.
Love it - although now I'm a bit jealous that I don't have chickens to photograph!
very pretty chicken, like the expression in her eyes
Hey, do you have a new blog button? That's how I always kept up with your site.
Michelle! I left a button on the old site: http://the-old-nichols-farm.blogspot.com
The picture with the fog from her breath is awesome!! :D
What a gorgeous girl! So glad the cat was innocent. (this time at least)
I love your posts! :)
I love this! Your chicken pictures are amazing, but I have to say my favorite is the picture of your cat! The sharp focus on mr. kitty cleaning himself and the bokeh surrounding him...gorgeous! Also love your sense of humor, it always puts a smile on my face!
sooo.... chickens don't like birth photography. got it. crossing that off my list of potential markets.
I love the pictures in this post! As the first comment properly pointed out, I think these may be the most beautiful pictures of a chicken I've ever seen :-)
That harsh lighting suits your photography just as well as your normal softer, more diffuse lighting. It's a slightly newer look for your photos (or I guess for your photos that I've seen) and I love it. I love everything about that last shot of the chicken.
There would be feathers everywhere if my cat lived on your property...
bad kitty... =) I love the breathe coming off the chickens beak!! =)
I would love to have chickens .... one day... when I don't have a cat!
Post a Comment