First, I managed to tangle myself in the no-chickens-allowed-on-the-greener-side fence. I mean like really, the toe of my rain boot got hopelessly caught in one of the square space thingies as I tried to step over it, and the whole wretched thing collapsed with me attached. I'm not a cowgirl (which I guess is obvious when I say "like really" and other hippie phrases) so I have to wear rain boots. But I did buy them from the farm store. So maybe I'm an imposter?
Anyway, that kind of fence doesn't stop adolescent cats. Well, no fence does. But that and the fact that the wild little beasties are almost as destructive in my garden as the goofy feathered rototillers are topics for another day. Okay. So I crashed to the ground, minus a boot (rain, not cow), and was instantly wearing a black and white cat on my hat.
Glory be. I had arrived.
There were the peas.
The belligerent things should have been ready to harvest weeks ago.

I found which way was up and extracted the cat from my head.
And a brisk forty-mile-an-hour fifty-degree North Dakota wind went straight down, as my little girl would say, "mine butt track".
Coincidentally, we washed sand out of hers yesterday.
Likely these new jeans don't fit me around the waist as well as I thought they did. The jeans that have these funny scratches on the thighs that made nervously interrogate the sales lady as to whether they were designed to fray, even though I already knew the answer. She looked me straight in the eye and lied to me. I bought them anyway because even once-a-year clothes shopping is complete ridiculousness and I'd had enough of it... and (I thought) they fit amazingly well - no small victory when you have the figure of Popeye's Olive Oyl.

From Wikipedia
However, that daring blast of wind proved it was much too miraculous to be true. I bet cowgirls don't wear their brand new jeans to the garden. They wear belts too. Don't they? To keep the wind and sand out?
The dog howled.
The cold wind blew.
The peas were harvested.
And then it happened...

Not a unicorn. Let me repeat. Not. A. Unicorn.
And don't any of you leave a comment saying, "Wow. A Monarch!". Not a Monarch. A Viceroy. They're a less celebrated butterfly designed to fool birds, kind of similar to how sales ladies are designed to tell customers exactly what they want to hear.
Now I'm going to make up a new batch of hot cocoa mix, because it's June in North Dakota and I'm cold. I'm going to outwit that sales lady and iron a patch onto the inside of my new Jeans, because I'm clever like that and not a bit stylish. And I'm going to insist the peas are delicious, but the spinach was better.
Love,
Olive
15 comments:
I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed reading an Ode to the Glory of Home Grown Spinach, and maybe that makes ME weird, but I'm ok with that.
Awesome post! Ha ha ha! I pictured the whole thing! What fun to follow.
Your peas should have been done weeks ago? Heck! With all the graduation planning I've been doing (and the party finally finished) my beans are finally 3" high (planted uber late) and my peas? Well, let's just say the seeds musta been duds!
Love the butterfly.
I love your not-unicorn-not-monarch!
I am so happy to see you back! I LOVE the Viceroy Peas shot.
Loved every word. I might have chuckled a few times ;) So happy to see another post from you.
Great Monarch! Ha ha. Just had to say it. I so missed your posts. You have such a delightful way with words, I always feel like I'm right there with you. And your daughter's phrases? So cute!
As a cowgirl I always went barefoot around our farm. Or flip flops. But then again we didn't have chickens. I might not have been so brave then.
The commentary on this post cracks me up. Thanks for the smile! And yes, "Ode" any time the thrill hits you.
What a great shot of the peas and butterfly! I love green, and the butterfly stands out beautifully!
Good luck with the jeans! I, too, hate clothes shopping! I used to be like Olive Oil, only MUCH shorter, but not so much anymore. And, that is painfully apparent to me when I try on clothes :-(
Sorry...Oyl, not Oil
Seriously? Rainbows and now butterflies?? Sigh... how can we possibly remain friends. ;)
Wow! Look at all of your beautiful peas. Our plants are only a couple inches tall. What do you do with them all?
I love the photo with the butterfly!
How is it that you always make me laugh so stickin' hard! Maybe it's because I've been there and done that, too! :)
a perfect way to start my Monday- so glad you are back in whatever way you are because this post proves to me how much I miss you!!!
Ah Jess, you made me laugh for the first time in a long time! Thank you :)
When I first read this post I couldn't even comment because I was so green with jealousy over your peas! I thought I had such a great start on my garden this year....but the rabbits chewed away all my peas - so many things have been replanted.....it's disgusting, really.
But in spite of my jealousy, I love your peas and even though they are my least favorite vegetable, I think they look delicious.
Post a Comment