The Christmas gift I lost nearly two years ago has been found. I still don't understand how I managed to lose it in the first place. I walk toward the barn with determined resolve to completely disregard the caution label on the side of that expensive shiny tool.
"Use cutting edge for cutting wood only"
I guess, technically, I did plan on hitting wood with that thing. But only after passing through something else with it first.
It was the kind of morning, the kind of tool, the kind of resolve, the kind of simple story that so many other prairie women have experienced in days past.

51. The privilege to teach my children that meat doesn't really come from a cellophane-wrapped package at the grocery store.
52. Knowing that his days were real... singing, scratching, free, drenched with sun and wind.
53. Feeling his life within my hands in those last moments, holding him close with quiet respectful gratitude for the gift that he truly is.
54. A deep connection to the prairie women of days past who put food on the table in exactly the same way.
55. Being mindfully aware of the true cost of my food.

10 comments:
A lesson worth learning. Sad but necessary.
As soon as I saw "Christmas gift", I knew where this was going. I'm just grateful that it had nothing to do with the other story because dinner and parasites should NOT mix. :)
Oh, and where on earth has your gift been hiding all this time?
So glad that it had nothing to do with your incomplete story. I’m glad you found your Christmas gift! Did the chickens have it hidden?
Yep...it truly is a blessing to be able to provide meat for your family that was raised by you personally!
I was wondering if the must do list included offing some chickens. And where was the tool?
Mmmm... fresh chicken. ;)
So, where was it? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
I'm glad you included the disclaimer at the end.....I thought as much, but it was nice to be absolutely sure you weren't gonna eat that thing. ; )
And that is a sharp looking ax - or is it a hatchet? Glad you found it.
Yep, you respect the animal, and feed it, so it can feed you later. I am sorta sad to see them go, but that's what they are raised for, here... Well, the boys, anyway.
Cat
Your kids are definitely learning valuable stuff from you! It's also cool to think about the very direct connection you share to so many pioneer prairie women you provided food in just this same way. And yes, very glad to hear you didn't butcher the diseased chicken!
Post a Comment