A steady stream of Snow Geese flew over our house. All day long. Nonstop. I'm not talking about a lot of geese. I'm talking about a ridiculous quantity of them. Thousands and thousands of geese.
It's a sign.
Spring is here. Finally.

I argued at length with myself over which of my two cameras would be the better choice for the job at hand. The fancy big camera has significantly more megapixels so I could crop the photos down later. Or. The old piece-o-junk crop body camera gives a telephoto lens the illusion of significantly more reach.
Also significant was my plan to trek across a soggy field. I decided on the old crop body camera. Thus, my 200mm lens became a 320mm equivalent. Sweet.

I'm not sure it was the right choice of camera. If I had managed to fall into the mud it would certainly have been.
Beyond their constant chatter, you can actually hear them fly. This day, my Spring sounded like the wind churned up by millions of feathers.

It's quite different from the sound of a chicken launching off her roost and crashing into a barn wall.

Both are something worth hearing.
15 comments:
Wow, that is an amazing gathering of geese!
Wow! That is definitely a lot of geese. :D
Absolutely LOVE that first shot. :)
Definitely a sign of Spring - love the first shot.
I think I'd like to hear both, too. You know, for comparison purposes.
Love all the geese coming through. Really gives one hope for spring!
Your cousin wants to get muddy and shoot geese now, too! I'm thinking his choice of the accompanying shooting tool would be a bit different, though.
Wow. That's amazing. I had to ride miles-and-miles (not that I am complaining) to see hordes of Snow Geese. I love that first shot, too, and how each goose appears to be a different color. I'm glad you were once again inspired to get out and shoot. :-)
Woah, that's a LOT of geese! I could almost hear them. Oh, and the symmetry and contrast in your first photo is really stunning! How on earth did you pick it out of the chaos?! My hat is off to you ma'am.
They were going right over my head. Just aim and shoot!
:)
You were a brave woman, indeed, for standing underneath all those really big birds while they flew overhead. I've seen the results of fly-overs like this on my car. lol
Beautiful shots, Jess. And your commentary made me feel like I was there experiencing it, too.
LOVE your shots! So nice of them to line up for you!
The experience must have been magical- so cool especially with pictures to go along with it! There is a place about 2 hours away from here where snow geese pause in hordes during their migrations. It sound so so amazing and now with your post it makes me wonder why I haven't made a point of trekking out there yet?!
hi friend,
i love the photos on this post. i see a similar sight here in WA but without the snow. we have lots of geese here right now, i love seeing them fly. i envy your fancy lens to capture their movement!
thanks for the sweet words on my blog. this winter has seemed so long. maybe it does every year and the memory is just erased by the loveliness of summer, but i just don't think i've been so anxious for a season to change.
xoxo
So you just haaaaad to go and show up my bird shot, didn't ya? :-) No, I'm just kidding...I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE yours! That first shot coudln't be more perfect! And the 3rd one?? The composition blows me away. Terrific job! Great to hear from you today...hope you have a wonderful week.
I can almost hear them. Every year the signs of spring are the basically the same, and every year it's still so exhilerating and magical.
I love your dedication to stand under thousands of geese in the mud with a camera!
Post a Comment