Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Four things

We are exactly twenty-six days now (if I counted right), from the official start of Spring.

Out here on the frozen prairie, the Vernal Equinox really doesn't have any useful meaning. Chances are equally good that we might be slogging through ankle deep mud or digging out from another fifteen inches of snow, or (the most likely option) pumping flood water out of our basement (much to my oldest boy's pipe/hose/pump obsessed delight).

I have four things for you today, all vaguely related to our changing (sooner or later) seasons. Good thing February is a short month, I don't think I could endure it much longer.

1. Lately I've had an overwhelming urge to shovel out the chicken coop. Either that means Spring is nearly upon us (as all responsible chicken caretakers know, you clean out the coop twice a year, Spring and Fall) OR else it means the poo is piled up so high in there that... well, nevermind. Don't worry, I'm not going to show you a picture of that. Do you want some eggs?

2. I was very surprised to find a half-inch long vegetable growing in my house.

I did actually measure it. One half inch, and such a cute little baby! Can you find it?


It's like the winter garden version of 'Where's Waldo?', only a whole lot more fun don't you think?

Now, if that doesn't make you want to fondle your heirloom seeds and fire up your grow lights, nothing will.

Couldn't find it?

Here is the handicap version 'find-the-surprise-veggie' photo. No excuses, that cutie is centered and backlit in this one.


Just to please my mother, I think I'll call him Jose. Jose Jalapeno (on a steek, Mom, on a steek).

3. It is taking an extreme amount of self-control to keep from grabbing my stash of seeds and making a huge potting soil mess in my kitchen. I know it's too early yet. My garden swamp won't be dried out until the end of May, if I'm lucky.

Good thing I have lots of chocolate in the house.

I'll be OK. Thanks for asking.

Jose Jalapeno will satisfy my desire to watch something green grow, and give me strength.

4. Our house seems really short, and so do our trees. That's what happens when you have this much snow.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the arrival of Spring, but this is my blog and I'll write whatever I want.

The end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steek to your writing you do so well! Mom

Maria said...

I love Jose! Be careful, though, when you name inanimate objects....I've mourned the loss of Buffy the car (she, and, yes, she had a gender, was blown up in an unfortunate North Side crime spree in 2002) and Henry the Tomato (a victim of too-sandy soil, too little watering, and way too much sunlight)....I'm sure Jose will be fine with your gardening expertise...especially if you eat him before he does anything silly like withering. :)